4 die of Cholera


Four people have died from cholera since the disease broke out last month.

Health Deputy Minister Chitalu Chilufya has confirmed the deaths at a media briefing in Lusaka this afternoon.

Dr. Chilufya said two deaths were recorded in Lusaka, while the latest two cases are from Nsama district in Northern Province.

He said the latest death involves an identified foreigner, who died at Kapisha clinic in Nsama after he was diagnosed with cholera.

Dr. Chilufya explained that so far 17 cholera cases have been recorded in Nsama district, which 9 people under treatment and six have been discharged.

Meanwhile, Dr. Chilufya has disclosed that Lusaka has continued to record sporadic cases of cholera, with 11 new suspected cases recorded in Bauleni compound on Thursday.

He says this brings to total 290 cholera cases recorded in Lusaka’s Bauleni, Kanyama and Matero townships.