Fire destroys Kitwe flats


FOUR houses have been burnt down and property worth thousands of Kwacha destroyed after a block of flats caught fire in Kitwe’s Nkana West.

Fire started in one of the flats, but quickly spread to the other three units soon after electricity was restored after an outage on Saturday afternoon.
Victoria Shawa, one of the affected tenants, told a Daily Mail crew that rushed to the scene that fire started in the living rooms before it spread to the other rooms and other flats in the block.
The inferno raged for hours before it was put out by firefighters from Mopani Copper Mines (MCM).
“We did not have power from morning, and it only came around 15:00 hours. And after it returned, I saw fire on the roof of my house. The other houses are also affected and their property is destroyed, but no one was hurt,” Ms Shawa said.