AN AMERICAN promoter is said to be chasing the signature of Zimbabwean boxing ace Charles Manyuchi, whose contract with Oriental Quarries of Zambia expired last month.
Manyuchi attracted global attention when he successfully defended his World Boxing Council International welterweight title against Gianluca Freeza of Italy in July and shot up the rankings.
The 26-year-old boxer is now ranked 12th in the world by the WBC.
Although Manyuchi refused to comment about the possible American link, this publication is reliably informed that the promoter called the boxer’s camp last week and promised to jet in “soon” to finalise matters.
“What I can only say is that the Zambian promoters are yet to contact me about the way forward. In this case, I will just rest, enjoy my Christmas and see what happens next,” said Manyuchi, whose contract with Oriental Quarries expired on November 19.
A member of the boxer’s backroom staff said the American promoter said he had been monitoring Manyuchi since his capture of the WBC International welterweight title in March 2014.
“He has been following Manyuchi with keen interest. He was in Italy when Manyuchi defended his crown against Freeza and last week he called to find out the latest situation,” said the source.
Manyuchi knocked out Freeza in the sixth round to improve his record to 17-2-1.
His first defence was against Colombian Devis Caceres, whom he floored in the second round in November 2014.
Manyuchi, meanwhile, has been using his break to help promote local talent and was last weekend in Chitungwiza’s St Mary’s suburb for an amateur tournament hosted by BoxAfrica. More than 30 bouts were on the card with pugilists drawn from Harare, Masvingo, Chivhu and Chitungwiza.
“The talent is there. They (coaches) are doing a commendable job. The youngsters are amazing,” he said.