A MAN of Lusaka’s Kanyama Township has died while two others are nursing injuries after the houses they were sleeping in caught fire in two separate incidents.
The deceased has only been identified as Patrick while the injured are Joe Phiri of number 91/63 old Kanyama Township and Clement Likando aged 30 of house number H 44/85 in the same area.
Police said the first incident occurred around 01:00 hours yesterday while the other one happened on Tuesday around 03: 45 hours.
In both incidents, the victims left burning candles, leading to the fires.
Police spokesperson Rea Hamoonga said in a statement yesterday that Patrick and Mr Phiri left a candle burning in the sitting room and went to sleep in the bedroom.
In the process the sofas and other household goods caught fire which later spread to the bedroom.
“Mr Phiri is admitted to the University Teaching Hospital while the deceased’s body is at the same hospital in the mortuary awaiting postmortem,” he said.
In a similar incident, Clement Likando left a burning candle when he went to sleep and during the night, some household goods caught fire which spread to the other room.
The victim sustained fire burns all over the body and he is admitted to the University Teaching Hospital (UTH) while the value of the properties burnt has not yet been established.
And police in Mongu have arrested a juvenile aged between 14 and 16 years for sodomy.
The incident occurred on Tuesday around 12:00 hours in Chisonga area.
It is alleged that the boy sodomised two boys both aged eight years, while they were playing.
“The suspect has since been arrested and charged with sodomy contrary to section 155 of the Penal Code of the laws of Zambia and will appear in court soon,” Mr Hamoonga said.