MTN’s fine increased again to USD3.9bn


The Nigerian fine that precipitated a management shake-up at MTN has been increased again, to $3.9bn from the $3.4bn the company was told on Wednesday it would have to pay by the end of December.
MTN said on Friday that the latest amount was set out in a letter from the Nigerian Communications Commission (NCC) late on Thursday, which superseded Wednesday’s letter that had reduced the original $5.2bn fine to $3.4bn.
MTN said that neither letter explained how the reduction was determined and the company was “carefully considering” both letters. Executive chairman Phuthuma Nhleko would “immediately and urgently re-engage with the Nigerian authorities before responding formally”.
MTN on Thursday overhauled its top team as a result of the fallout from the Nigerian fine, levied after the tardy disconnection of 5.1-million unregistered subscribers.
Sifiso Dabengwa had already resigned as CEO. MTN Nigeria CEO Michael Ikpoki and Akinwale Goodluck, head of regulatory and corporate affairs, have now also quit with immediate effect, as had been widely expected.
MTN Nigeria chief financial officer Ferdi Moolman takes over as CEO of the Lagos-based unit.
Source: BDpro