AN 87-year-old man has been burnt to death in Kazungula after the house he was sleeping in with other family members caught fire.
Kazungula district commissioner Pascalina Musokotwane, who confirmed the incident yesterday, said it is suspected that the fire was ignited by a burning candle inside the house.
The victim has been identified as Kwalombota Lubinda, who was just visiting his relatives in the district.
Ms Musokotwane said after the deceased noticed that the house had caught fire around 21:00 hours on Thursday, he alerted everyone in the house and managed to rescue all of them.
But after rescuing the entire family, he failed to get out of the house and was burnt to death because the fire had already engulfed the house.
Ms Musokotwane said she was alerted about the incident when the fire was still raging and tried to call the firefighting team but their phones went unanswered.
She said it is unfortunate that a life had been lost in a district which has adequate firefighting equipment and a lot of water in the Zambezi River.
“We cannot be losing lives to fire when we have proper fire-fighting tools,” she said.