Grandmother, 95, burnt to death in house fire

0

A 95-YEAR-0LD woman of Kitwe’s Chimwemwe township has been burnt to death, while her three-year-old granddaughter has suffered severe burns after the house they were sleeping in caught fire.
The woman, identified as Annie Mutebi of house number 7261, died in the inferno that was sparked by a candle that set a wooden plank on fire before the whole house got engulfed in flames.
Copperbelt deputy commissioner of police Byemba Musole confirmed the incident that occurred on Saturday at about 22:30 hours.
Mr Musole said the woman’s daughter, Janet Mutebi, rescued a three-year-old child, who is admitted to Kitwe Central Hospital (KCH).
“I can confirm that a woman by the name of Annie Mutebi, 95, was burnt to death on Saturday night in Chimwemwe township in a fire that was caused by a lit candle. She died of suffocation and no foul play is suspected,” Mr Musole said.
He said the body of the deceased is lying in the KCH mortuary.
Kitwe district commissioner Chanda Kabwe, who visited the funeral house yesterday with town clerk Bornwell Lwanga, is saddened by the incident.
Mr Kabwe said Government has taken responsibility of all funeral expenses.
He said it was regrettable for the country to lose a senior citizen in the manner that Ms Mutebi died.
A neighbour, who witnessed the burning of the house, said Chimwemwe experienced load-shedding on Saturday night and this could be the reason why the 95-year-old lit a candle.

ZambiaDailyMail

SHARE

NO COMMENTS

LEAVE A REPLY