Zesco employee electrocuted in Monze

1

——A 40-year-old man of Monze district in Southern province has been electrocuted this morning as he was  working on a ZESCO transformer on the main power line.

Monze District Commissioner, Biggie Mwiinde, confirmed the development to ZANIS today, and identified the deceased as Kelvin Sitamu of Site and Service Compound in Monze.

Mr Mwinde said Mr Sitamu was working on the step-down transformer on the main line to Manungu with a named colleague when the incident happened around 9:00 hours.

The District Commissioner, who described the incident as very unfortunate, said the deceased, who was an assistant line man, is alleged to have been told to start work on the transformer after being told the main power line was off when in fact it was not.

Mr Mwiinde further explained that the deceased then proceeded to work but was immediately electrocuted as the main line was still live.

“The deceased is alleged to have communicated to fellow workers to switch off the main line and was told the line was off and yet it was still on and was electrocuted immediately after he started to work,” said Mr Mwiinde.

And Monze police have since recovered the charred body from the scene of the incident. The  body is lying in Monze District Hospital mortuary.

Meanwhile, police are treating the case as criminal negligence and have since instituted investigations into the death of the deceased.

SHARE

1 COMMENT

LEAVE A REPLY