Luwingu farmers threaten to boycott jubilee

0

Luwingu farmers threaten to boycott jubilee

Luwingu, 21 October, 2014, ZANIS– Farmers in Luwingu district of the Northern province have threatened to boycott the independence celebrations on Friday because government has allegedly failed to pay them their money for maize delivered to the Food Reserve Agency (FRA).

The farmers said that they had decided to boycott the celebrations because it was meaningless to do so  when the problem had persisted while most of them have failed to take their children to school for the current  third term.

Speaking on behalf of the farmers who stormed ZANIS offices in Luwingu to air their grievances, Emmanuel Mukuka of Luwingu central satellite complained that farmers were not happy with the delay by government to pay them their dues.

Mr Mukuka lamented that most farmers had their children sent back from schools because they could not afford to pay both boarding and school fees and that this would impact on their performance during this year’s grade nine and 12 final examinations.

“We sold our maize on 29th July and since then government has not fulfilled its promise which has angered the affected farmers in the area. We will not participate in jubilee independence if government will not pay farmers promptly,” he said.

 Another farmer, Abraham Chipoya appealed to the government that it should come out in the open and tell farmers the truth because they cannot wait any further.

Mr Chipoya said that farmers were not happy with government because the past must not repeat itself as it was in the last era of the MMD government.

He said farmers want to buy farm inputs on time in order for them to have proper yields and to contribute to the economy of the country.

SHARE

NO COMMENTS

LEAVE A REPLY