The Lusaka Magistrate court has ordered for the detention of two sureties of a Botswana journalist who is alleged to have stolen US$34,000 from a motor vehicle.
This was after the duo, Abraham Mwanamayinda and Kebby Inambao, failed to tell the court the whereabouts of the accused person Gababothaale Randaba Prince, 32, who is jointly charged with Bhekimpil Nc’ube 32, a Zimbabwean national for theft from a motor vehicle.
Both sureties told Magistrate Alice Walusiku that they were shocked that the accused person had not showed in court even after they had earlier communicated to him and he had promised to be at the court promises at 08:30 hours.
The prosecution team has since issued a bench warrant for the re-arrest of Gababothaale.
And the magistrate ordered for the detention of the two sureties until Friday, October 10, 2014 for determination of their fate.
Magistrate Walusiku said trial in the matter could not proceed due to the absence of the first accused person.
She has since adjourned the matter to October 10, 2014 for return of a bench warrant against Gababothaale and for determination of the fate for the two sureties who have been detained until this Friday.
Gababothaale and his co-accused Nc’ube are charged with one count of theft from a motor vehicle contrary to section 276 (C) of the Penal Code chapter 87 of the Laws of Zambia.
It is alleged that the two accused persons on July 29, 2014 jointly and whilst acting together did steal US$34,000 cash from a motor vehicle namely Toyota Dyna Registration number ALR 1294, the property of Mbalazi Cetius Kunkuli.