Kasumbalesa protests over

0

International Lorry Drivers have called off their seven days protest and have started crossing into the Democratic Republic of Congo-DRC.

The drivers have called off their protest following a series of meetings with officials from the Congolese and Zambian governments.

Over 100 Lorries had been cleared at Kasumbalesa Border Post by 09:00 hours on Friday morning.

Home Affairs Deputy Minister Stephen Kampyongo who visited the border post this morning commended the drivers for calling off the protest.

Mr.   Kampyongo who held another meeting with the drivers yesterday, has assured them that the Ministry of Foreign affairs is already making preparations for a meeting with DRC government to address their security concerns.

And Consular General of the DRC in Zambia Konji Maloba says the driver’s protest has had a huge impact on her country’s economy which largely relies on imports from other countries.

She says her government has put in place a 24 hour traffic patrol on the road leading to Lubumbashi to ensure security of the drivers.

The drivers were protesting the alleged killing of a Zambian driver in the DRC last week.

Authorities however says the driver was killed in a road accident.

 

SHARE

NO COMMENTS

LEAVE A REPLY